Aged Care Accreditation and Complaints Process

Checklist Accreditation aged care

Aged Care and Accreditation and Complaints Process

Found an Aged Care home? Want to find their accreditation history?

With the Aged Care Commission and various media articles fresh in our mind from the past few years, many of us have serious concerns for their love ones transitioning into aged care.

There are certain standards that must be met when homes are to become and remain accredited, areas which include…

  • Management
  • Staffing
  • Health
  • Personal care
  • Resident lifestyle
  • Living environment
  • Catering and nutrition
  • Cleanliness
  • Improvement and upkeep
  • Safety and security.

Within these standards there are various outcomes, or examples of what people should expect when homes meet the standards.

The Australian Government has several measures in place to monitor the quality of care and services.

The Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission is responsible for the review of aged care homes. It monitors homes to ensure their compliance with the accreditation standards.

To obtain the accreditation status of an aged care home, you can access the records through the Aged Care quality  website

Complaints Process

Aged Care Commission

It is recommended that you firstly try to resolve any issues with your service provider but if you are unhappy with your response, you can escalate your concerns.

If you’re concerned about the care or services you or a loved one is receiving from a provider, you should importantly make a complaint by calling the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission on 1800 951 822 or online. Anyone can make a complaint and the service is free. You can complain anonymously, confidentially if you would like to.

Commonwealth Ombudsman

If you are still not satisfied with the outcomes of a complaint following the complaint process, you can contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman. 

Visit the website for more information or call 1300 362 072.


If you have queries or concerns about the financial management of an aged care home, you can contact ASIC. ASIC has the power to investigate the financial operations of aged care suppliers.

Visit the website for more information or call ASIC on 1300 300 630.

Elder Abuse

If you are concerned about elder abuse there is a national helpline1800 ELDERHelp or 1800 353 374, each state / territory can also assist you, their contact details are below


Organisation or resource


Australian Capital Territory

Older Persons Abuse Prevention Referral and Information Line (APRIL)

02 6205 3535

New South Wales

NSW Elder Abuse Helpline

1800 628 221

Northern Territory

Elder Abuse Information Line

1800 037 072


Elder Abuse Prevention Unit

1300 651 192

South Australia

Aged Rights Advocacy Service

08 8232 5377

Elder Abuse Phoneline

1800 700 600


Tasmanian Elder Abuse Helpline

1800 441 169


Seniors Rights Victoria

1300 368 821

Western Australia

Elder Abuse Helpline

1300 724 679

Need specialist support to help to make a complaint?

The Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN) 

The Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN) provides support to help resolve concerns and complaints on your behalf. They also provide support for people experiencing elder abuse. This help is free, independent, and confidential.

Contact them on 1800 700 600 or online

Visual guide

For a visual guide on how to make a complaint, you can visit here and view or download the pdf.

Back to Blog

Not in my wildest dreams did I think we could place Dad in such a facility

This has been the best investment we have ever made